Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Four Mile Lake Association - Bulletin Board

FMLA Website HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Uranium Mining in Cottage Country! (Read 7,869 times)
Administrator
FMLA Board Administrator

I love 4ML

Four Mile Lake
Uranium Mining in Cottage Country!
Jun 5th, 2009 at 4:59pm

Below is some info that affects all Ontario cottagers...

It looks like this is coming our way as they are doing this already in Gooderham now, less than 15KM NW of 4ML

Hi Friends

Here is some more information about the potential for uranium mining in Haliburton. There is a real potential for permanent damage to beautiful cottage areas, as well as to the health of both the full-time and part-time residents.

The group Cottagers against Uranium Mining and Exploration, CUME, seems to be attracting quite a bit of media attention.  Last week, a reporter from CHEX TV (Peterborough) called me and said they’d be covering our September 27th  PROTEST RALLY at Queen’s Park, but were we doing anything newsworthy before then?    

We took him along on our visit with Haliburton-Kawarthas MPP Rick Johnson, to the uranium exploration site between Gooderham and Tory Hill, in the southern part of Haliburton County.  The entire drill site (which looks like a bomb-site blasted out of dense forest) slopes steeply down towards the Irondale River.  And there are several deep drill holes about 100 feet from this water source.  If this site ever becomes a functioning uranium mine, the highly acidic radioactive run-off would almost certainly spill into this river, which is the headwaters to the Trent Severn Waterway.  It’s unbelievable that miners can cause this much devastation --during exploration alone-- without environmental assessments.

Susanne Lauten

Cottagers against Uranium Mining and Exploration (C.U.M.E.)

[email]cottagers.vs.mining@sympatico.ca[/email]

(905) 895-6869 ; (705) 286-6147

The Administrator.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Administrator
FMLA Board Administrator

I love 4ML

Four Mile Lake
Re: Uranium Mining in Cottage Country!
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 5:02pm

another article on mining in Haliburton and Muskoka.

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/04/29/uranium-cottage.html[/url]

AND ... watch this video!

[highlight][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5RaqezHhQ[/url][/highlight]

The Administrator.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged