top of page

Burn By-Law in Effect

City of Kawartha Lakes Council passed a Burn By-Law in December (2005) and it is now in effect across the municipality. The new by-law regulates burning throughout the entire municipality so the by-laws from the former municipalities are no longer valid. The by-law regulates times during which fire may be set, the precautions that must be taken when burning and the fees for fire permits.

For an open air fire up to one cubic meter you will need a Regular Burn Permit. These permits cost $5 and are available at Municipal Service Centres, from Fire Prevention Inspectors or from Fire Captains at any Fire Hall.

For fires larger than 1 cubic meter you will require a Special Burn Permit. These permits are available for $10 from Fire Prevention Inspectors or from Fire Captains at any Fire Hall. Special Burn Permits are considered individually and will not all contain the same provisions. Your Fire Prevention Inspector or Captain will outline the provisions when the permit is issued.

The by-law allows people to have a campfire without a permit providing certain conditions are met. The fire area must be no larger than 24” (60cm) in diameter, be supervised at all times by an adult person, be used to cook food on a grill or barbecue or for personal warmth, be within an approved area or pit designed for that use, be a minimum of 5 meters (15 feet) from any building or fences, trees, brush piles or combustible materials and must not violate any other laws, by-laws, rules or regulations.

Agricultural Burn Permits are $25 and are valid for one year. They are available at Municipal Service Centres, from Fire Prevention Inspectors or from Fire Captains at any Fire Hall. An Agricultural Burn Permit does not apply to any residential type areas including residential buildings on farm property and only allows burning that is considered normal farming practice.

Burn Barrels are also restricted under the new by-law. If you live in a built-up urban area, you are not allowed to use a burn barrel. Schedule “E” of the by-law includes maps of all the restricted areas. These are not just the large urban centres of Lindsay, Fenelon Falls and Bobcaygeon but all built-up areas including towns, villages and even subdivisions. Residents are encouraged to check the by-law to see if they are in an area that allows burn barrels.

For those who are allowed to use a burn barrel, it must meet design specifications outlined in the by-law. It must be a metal barrel in good condition with heavy screen mesh with steel rods or pipes through the barrel to help combustion and draft holes near the bottom. The ground 2 meters around the barrel must be clear of all material that could cause your fire to escape. Only wood or wood by-products can be burned. You cannot burn grass clippings or leaves! We encourage composting and recycling of these items – more information is available in the City of Kawartha Lakes Garbage & Recycling Calendar that is available at Municipal Service Centres.

Wood and wood by-products include tree trunks, tree branches and brush that are not contaminated with paint, or any other wood treatment chemical. You cannot burn pressure treated wood.

For more information about the Burn By-Law please contact Fire Headquarters in Lindsay at 324-5731 or Fire Prevention Inspectors located at the Municipal Service Centres in Coboconk, Kirkfield, Omemee and Bobcaygeon.

==================================== REMEMBER - even screened, covered fire pits can throw sparks and embers high up into overhead trees - and these dry leaves, needles and branchs can combust quickly high above the ground, spreading from tree to tree! FIRES ARE DANGEROUS!!!

Your Directors, FMLA

Recent Posts
bottom of page